Friday, March 16, 2012

Bio + nano = … or Nano + bio = ...

I have encountered a new term, to be more precisely – new field of science: NanoBioTechnology. It sounds magnificent! Like a combo pill! It looks like it was coined to finally mislead disarm a potential investor in this field, when just Nano or Bio does not work, their combination makes synergy! For sure! It sounds juicy! This idea is nice and should be very productive! Another question: what is the subject for this science?

You, who read my posts on this blog, are completely right – I check Wikipedia (however I feel I need to apologize for that). And guess what??? I have found another perfect match: BioNanoTechnology! No way…  Well, you can see the descriptions:

Nanobiotechnology

Nanobiotechnology (sometimes referred to as nanobiology) is best described as helping modern medicine progress from treating symptoms to generating cures and regenerating biological tissues.

Bionanotechnology


DNA nanotechnology is one important example of bionanotechnology. The utilization of the inherent properties of nucleic acids like DNA to create useful materials is a promising area of modern research.

When being a student of a chemical department I have discovered the existence of chemical physics and physical chemistry, well, it was acceptable. Nowadays I thing I have to have a little bit more time to  accommodate myself to difference between bionano and nanobio.

Just think what a mess we shall get by adding an additional term, let’s say “quantum”! We have now 6 combinations! Let us check… Guess what? It is already here!

Sure, the science and the scientists are devaluated in terms of their creative ability. The professor from “Back in the future” was definitively not a bionanotechnologist! He was just a Scientist – and it sounded more proud than bionanotechnologist. Just think for yourself: what useful can be created by bionanotechnologist?

No comments:

Post a Comment